Typing Without Typing

The Dasher Project sounds really innovative and interesting to use. The ability to type out a document without actually typing is amazingly cool. I can see how it would be of use to any person that might have a disability or just a hard time functioning with a keyboard, but for anyone else that uses it for the sake of using cool technology seems a little lazy. I’m not sure if anyone would be that lazy to use a program that would slow their typing down to 29 wpm, but you never know. As we were watching the video in class today of the program being used, I could help but wonder about how often a person’s eyes would veer off to another letter floating by. I mean , as a person looks at the letter they want displayed, it appears to float by on the screen while the person goes on to look at the next letter, but I would probably end up glancing back at the letter floating by and misspell a bunch of words. On the website about the project there is a link about the Speech Dasher. It is a interface that uses voice recognition along with gesture movements that allow a person to have a more efficient and fun way to input text. I think that this is a really neat program to help out those individuals who might have difficulty with typing on a traditional keyboard. I wouldn’t want to use the program on a regular basis but I would like to give it a try to see how user friendly it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment